Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tree Farm by John Estabrook

I didn't write this one.  I've always enjoyed it and thought I should share it.
Not only is it a good read, but it is instructional. 

Tree Farm by John Estabrook

WOOD HEAT

Beech wood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year.
Chestnut's only good, they say
If for long it's laid away.
But ash wood new or ash wood old
Is fit for a queen with a crown of gold.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
Blaze up bright and do not last.
Is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould -
E'en the very flames are cold;
But ash wood green and ash wood brown
Is fit for a queen with a golden crown.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.
Apple wood will scent your room
With an incense like perfume.
Oaken logs if dry and old
Keep away the winter cold.
But ash wood wet and ash wood dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Oak logs will warm you well,
If they're warm and dry.
Larch logs of pine wood smell
But sparks will fly.
Beech logs for Christmas time;
Yew logs heat well.
Scotch logs it's a crime
For anyone to sell.
Birch logs will burn too fast,
Chestnut scarce at all.
Hawthorn logs are good to last,
If cut in the fall.
Holly logs will burn like wax,
You should burn them green.
Elm logs like smouldering flax;
No flames to be seen.
Pear logs and apple logs,
They will scent your room.
Cherry logs across the dogs
Smell like flowers in bloom.
But ash logs all smooth and gray,
Burn them green or old,
Buy up all that come you way,
They're worth their weight in gold.

31 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the Jim Gaffigan skit "I like wood..." lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Applause*

    I'll have to look into this John Estabrook fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn this guy really loved wood, pretty impressive to actually write a poem with a rhyme scheme about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's wrong with the scotch logs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like this gets me in the mood for autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me want to get some logs ready to burn in the fireplace since winter is approaching fast

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice poem, you've got some good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting poem; read all the way through, but I don't think the full effect of it hit me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like poetry

    Dannie Abse and Conrad Aiken are just a few of my fav poets.

    nice entry though looking forward for more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A poem about wood. Pretty weird, but not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like.
    So winsconsin huh?
    Planning on going to a city anytime?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the scotch logs are referring to scotch pine, which is pretty close to jack pine. Not a good selection for heating your home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First poem I've read on burning wood, odd that he didn't include cedar. Many fond childhood memories of throwing cedar logs that had time to sit into the fireplace and poking them as they were set ablaze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the way you designed your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm an avid reader of yours so I'd appreciate it if you headed over to my blog and voted in my poll and stuff =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see. so you arent a city person?
    Why dont you like the city?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love poems, that was very nice!
    Mesty =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good read, I enjoyed it thanks!

    ReplyDelete