Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Review of GSI H2jO! Coffee Filter

Originally submitted at REI

Create great tasting, no-hassle coffee on your next camping trip with this GSI filter.


Great idea; works as advertised

By Too-Poor-4-REI from Delavan, WI on 2/12/2011

 

5out of 5

Pros: Functional, Affordable

Best Uses: Brewing, Home, Coffee

Describe Yourself: Casual Drinker

I had what I thought was a million dollar idea. Then I did some Googling and found it already existed... and this is it.

I don't drink coffee every day. However, when I do make it at home this is what I now use. For me it is much easier to just boil some water on the stove to make coffee when I want it rather than use the coffee maker.

When I'm backpacking, I do drink coffee every day and this thing works wonderfully. Once you get used to it, you can make a nice strong full-bodied coffee that tastes great.

What works best for me is this:
1. Pour boiling water into the bottle.
2. Screw on the filter with coffee in it. Make sure it is screwed on tight.
3. Screw on the Nalgene bottle cap (tight).
4. Invert the bottle for a while.
5. Pick up the bottle and tighten the caps again.
6. Shake the s-it out of the bottle.
7. Shake it to the left.
8. Shake it to right.
9. Do the hippy shake-shake, with all of your might.
10. Stand the bottle upright.
11. Give it one last little shake to try to wash the grounds off the Nalgene cap.
12. Enjoy!

Notes:
Don't try to pour the boiling water through the coffee and filter. That's a pain and makes a big mess.
You need to agitate the bottle or you'll end up with tan-colored water.
Use a course-ground coffee like Torke percolator-grind.
You might want some little glovey-things to wear while you're shaking the bottle. It gets pretty hot. I have homemade fleecey mittens that I carry for sleeping because my pinkies get chilly at night. They work great for steps 6 through 9.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment