Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Review of MSR MiniWorks EX Filter

Originally submitted at REI

This compact filter features new EX technology, which utilizes back pressure to improve the water flow rate.


Pretty much bulletproof

By Too-Poor-4-REI from Delavan, WI on 2/12/2011

 

4out of 5

Pros: Easy to clean, Low maintenance, Good filtration

Cons: Bulky

Best Uses: Backpacking

Describe Yourself: Casual/ Recreational

Was this a gift?: No

I have had this filter for 5 or 6 years. Prior to that I'd boil water or use iodine or bleach purify water.

Filtering is the best option. Keep in mind, though, that if you are concerned about viruses you'll need to use something in addition to this filter to make your water safe.

I bought the field service kit for this filter, but I've had no reason to use it yet. The only maintenance I've had to do is cleaning (of course) and using a little petroleum jelly to lube the piston.

One thing I've noticed is that if you get too crazy and pump too fast, you are just going to work extra hard and not get any more out. Take your time... what's your rush anyway? You are out in the wilderness enjoying yourself. Settle down! If you want to get all wound up about stupid little things go back to Chicago... FIB!

Compared to some other options, this filter is pretty big and heavy. I've considered trying smaller, lighter filters but this one works so well that I can't bring myself to buy anything else. Also, I'm cheap.

Here's a tip... when you are done pumping and are ready to get back to hiking, pump the filter full of air. That will cut down on the weight.

I think the base cap should be attached to the filter via a lanyard of some sort. The same goes for the MSR Hydromedary bag that I use. I guess MSR hasn't considered what could happen if you accidentally drop the cap in a stream. I guess with the Miniworks it wouldn't be the end of the world. With the Hydromedary, you really need to be very careful with that cap.

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment